Upgrade roadmap: A route to future success
Note from the OnBase blog editor: One of the great things about working for Hyland, creator of OnBase, is that everyone is so passionate. Not just employees and partners, but our customers too. That’s why I wasn’t surprised to find out that the OnBase Administrator for Principal Global Investors wrote a wonderful blog post and published it on Community, our online space where user experts go to network, share points of view and post questions.
It’s a great roadmap, provided by an expert. Enjoy!
OnBase never stops evolving. Product development is an ongoing effort and every year a new version of OnBase is released. Each annual release contains enhancements and improvements that provide new functionality, better performance and support for new hardware and software upgrades in your production environment.
Remaining loosely in step with these new releases has its advantages, like reducing the risk of production downtime. Making things easy, OnBase keeps users informed with “Technical Bulletin” emails that let customers know of potential affected versions and builds, as well as optimization tips and tricks.
To help you plan your next upgrade, here is Principal Global Investors top 10 list of reasons for upgrading in 2014.
10. Mobility: With the latest OnBase releases, it’s easier than ever to furnish your business content to your users when they’re on-the-go. Whether they’re on the road, at home or just away from their desks, OnBase is there when they need it.
9. Integration: Saving time and allowing important systems the ability to communicate is what every OnBase Administrator is looking to do. Hyland makes the important task of integrating systems with OnBase easier by providing packages, APIs and tools. Principal Global Investors really began leveraging these APIs a year ago and they have factored into many useful solutions – with many others in the works.
8. OnBase Archive Services for Microsoft® SharePoint: Transfer SharePoint content into OnBase by taking advantage of the collaborative strength of SharePoint and the enterprise content management (ECM) muscle of OnBase. Principal Global Investor’s business areas leverage SharePoint in many ways in everyday processes. Having a way to integrate these two applications will be a powerful feature for us to leverage. Thankfully, recent design improvements to this module will allow this solution to be possible for our organization.
7. eSignature Pad Interface: Leaders at my organization were looking to improve our options for signing documents electronically, so we requested that functionality. OnBase 13 (and 14) provided it, giving us more options for moving forward to meet our goals.
6. OnBase Studio: If you use OnBase workflow, switching from the standard workflow configuration to OnBase Studio is a must. This new feature has a better GUI and several other improvements that will make your life easier.
5. Unity Forms: Creating custom electronic forms from scratch hasn’t been easier. Using the point-and-click designer in the Unity Client interface is easy. The time-consuming HTML forms days are gone! No more need for custom coding with the designer, since it’s built right into the module.
4. Unity Client: The Unity Client has many new and unique features, plus the new look and feel of the ribbon will give your users the WOW factor. Moving our users from the Web Client to the Unity Client will give our users more functionality and a performance boost, allowing them to be more productive in their everyday tasks.
3. Users: Happy users make for happy OnBase System Administers. When the system is running and stable, it empowers users to be more productive. Less down time = more productive users. And more productive users = happier CFOs.
2. Minimize Risk: Keeping our OnBase environment current and upgraded on a regular basis helps to minimize risk. It is a wild world out there, but by leveraging the most current version, you know you have the best OnBase product available to minimize the chance of security breaches or work stoppages due to natural disasters. You can take the security of your documents and information to another level by using the OnBase Cloud. So even if your physical buildings are under water, employees will still have access to the information they need to continue working.
1. Peace of Mind: Once your upgrade is completed, the latest version of OnBase will give you peace of mind. You can sleep well knowing that your documents and information are secure, and that you’re supported by experts who are there for you seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
There you go. Ten reasons why you should upgrade. Ten ways to optimize your processes.
One roadmap to success.