3 Keys to Empowering Your Asset Management – and Why Your Solution Needs Them All
The silver lining in recent government budget woes is that IT departments and managers are meeting the challenge of cutbacks by using technology solutions that save time and trim costs. With historic staff reductions, it is essential that software solutions bring together all relevant information for fast decision-making, and that they present the information in a meaningful way – even for staff in the field.
Too often, the information needed to manage community infrastructure, or assets, is held by several departments, stored in different buildings, or is even lost despite the long periods of time (possibly decades) that infrastructure is intended to be used. Asset management responsibilities demand a system that can grow with your infrastructure and change with new technologies, all while meeting the current budget and staff challenges of this year. Without this complete picture, your technology solutions can’t truly empower staff to create and maintain your community’s investments.
What are the key considerations for an asset management solution?
Consider the process of asset management and how to translate that process into a seamless technology solution that:
- Collects and stores your community’s planning activities and data
- Manages asset creation projects and inventories their locations
- Supports their maintenance for the years to come, especially for field access
The key is to remember that there are three pieces to accomplishing this:
- Data – all the information about each asset, from a stop sign to a street light to a road
- Maps – the locations of each of these data points
- Documents – key reference information from manuals, photos and video, permits, past code violations, contracts and the history (held across multiple departments) that affects each asset
Effective and lasting asset management requires this complete picture to support current and future community management. If you have data, but don’t know the geospatial location of the asset, you can’t effectively plan, maintain or develop the next phase of your community’s infrastructure. And, without the documents, which at times span decades of projects, your ability to maintain assets, manage new projects or plan construction without disruption is seriously impaired. The data itself is critical to determining maintenance schedules and assigning staff to these tasks. It’s also consulted when your constituents report conditions that must be repaired.
If data, maps and documents are the 3 keys, how do you put them together in one solution?
- First, deploy a great asset management solution like Azteca Cityworks®. Cityworks changes asset data systems from data points to a responsive solution that moves with you, beginning with planning phases through inventory responsibilities and the forward maintenance of each asset as it is brought online.
- Then, leverage the power of Esri’s GIS solutions. The challenges of project management, work scheduling and making good decisions are answered by using the power of Esri’s ArcGIS platform to create custom GIS applications. And with Cityworks, that powerful map view is embedded in one screen showing the critical data and its location.
- Finally, add document management. Permanently and securely store documents, CAD drawings, as-builts, hazardous material permits, evacuation plans and more. Connect this repository of critical documents to your Cityworks solution so you never have to search for the complete picture you need to do your job.
To round out your solution, makes sure that it’s available in the field on laptops, tablets and smartphones. Staff charged with inspection, management and response can access what they need without carrying paper files or heading back to the office between each job.
Remembering the three keys to asset management will help you select a solution for efficient and effective management of your infrastructure investments. And even though the efficiency improvements may be forced by difficult times, the end result will be a mobile, empowered staff that can protect your investments thanks to the complete asset management solution provided by Cityworks, Esri and document management.